Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I'm learning

So, there's this commercial on the radio now, from Kraft Singles...about how if you bring in the wrapper to a baseball game, they'll pay for one of your tickets, right?

And said commercial bothers the crap out of me...before I get into why I should explain the commercial...in case you're unfamiliar. (Names were changed because I can't remember their actual names...)

It goes a little something like this:

Female: "I'm Kelly, Marketing blah blah blah from Kraft"

Male: "And I'm Todd, baseball fan."

Female: "We're here today to announce a special thing from Kraft. Called, [Insert Marketing Ploy Name Here]...where if you eat some cheese and bring a wrapper to the ticket window, Kraft will buy one ticket for you."

Male: "This is great! And maybe I can watch my home team hit a single!"

Female: "Wait. That's mean, why would anybody want to hit a single?"

Male: "No it's good. We want the team to hit a bunch of singles!"

Female: "Wait. No! We don't want people hitting our cheese!"

And it goes on like this, with the guy getting aggravated with the girl and vice versa...for like 2 minutes.

But today I figured out why it bothers me so much...I mean, beyond the cheesiness (no pun intended) of the commercial in general...)

It's because nobody would let this miscommunication actually go on that long. I mean, if it were and actual conversation...the moment the woman said "hitting our cheese" any normal person would simply say something along the lines of "Oh...you meant a Kraft Single. I'm talking about a play in baseball. When the batter hits the ball and takes first base. *haha haha awkward laugh*"

It bothers me because it's not an honest back and forth. The reactions are faked to create this commercial, as opposed to creating an actual conversation between two people who are misunderstanding each other and building the commercial out of that.

And I think I picked up on due to my improv classes. Truthful human interaction and response is much more entertaining...as opposed to forced situations...or those that simply try to get the "funny."


Also, I really hate cooked carrots.

2 comments:

  1. It is an obnoxious commercial. I was just searching for it to post it and go off on it. It bothers me for the same reasons. Also, the whole set up is based on the guy wanting to go to the game to get to see someone hit a single. While singles are important, I don't think people go to baseball games to see singles. We wanna see a big home run or something. Again, just a stupid, forced thing to make the commercial. It's a pretty good promotion: get a free ticket with a Kraft wrapper, but a stupid commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've raised an EQUALLY valid point. No one goes to a game to see the team hit singles.

    This commercial just plain blows...period *lol*

    ReplyDelete