Friday, May 29, 2009

Level C...on the level

So last night was my first Level C class at SCTC. I was really pumped, I think the excitement of learning new things improv-wise just tends to get me stoked.

Anyways, the first half hour or so was spent letting our instructor in on why we chose to take and continue classes, and what our favorite games were. After that, it was a few rounds of "getting to know you" games.

We had a 10 minute break and when we got back, we played endless rounds of freeze tag, which all culminated into 4-person scenes at the end. Our instructor didn't give us any feedback, but he sat in the corner taking copious notes...I think he's going to evaluate us as a class so he knows how to proceed.

I feel like I had a few great moments. One in particular was when I jumped into freeze without any idea, and ended up turning one of my classmates into a marionette puppet. Nothing spectacular, but the fact that he totally went with it, even implementing his own funniness by petting my leg really made it feel like a success.

I've learned throughout my improv experience that it's not necessarily what you say or how much you say, but rather what you do and how well you listen. In this case, the moment I was having with that classmate was both hilarious and rewarding...and we didn't have to really say anything to convey that.

Also, the fact that he knew exactly how to play it without a thought was incredible.

I think when it comes to scenes, I tend to err on the side of caution and remain quiet until I feel like I need to react verbally. There's no point in rambling on incessantly if it doesn't add to the scene. That type of action also makes it really difficult to do a 3 or 4 person scene.

It's about listening and give and take. You know? It's about adding to the scene and building on it.

Some of my other favorite scenes of the night were with B, one was completely in gibberish and the other was in complete silence. Both times I felt like what we created was valid and successful.

I also had one more scene with the marionette (he wasn't a marionette in this scene though), it was full-sentence and once again, he took what I brought in and totally built on it. I love that.

But I'm just rambling now. Jam tonight! Excited and nervous as usual.

Also, I stopped at McDonald's on the way home from class last night for 2 grilled chicken, ranch snack wraps when I noticed this on the bag:























I have the sinking suspicion that "McDonald's" is really a front for a male prostitution ring.

No, really. Think about it. Sausage? Special Sauce? Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun?

All sex metaphors. I'm convinced.

No comments:

Post a Comment